Saturday, May 15, 2010

Women preaching?

Hello, my name is LaToya and this is my first blog (Yay!). The reason that I decided to start blogging is because I wanted a way to spread the Word of Jesus Christ to all who want to know Him or learn more about Him. So I will post a verse and give an explanation as to what I believe it means. I may even include personal situations pertaining to that verse, that can hopefully help someone in a similar situation. I encourage anyone that read my posts to make comments.

Okay so I like to check out Yahoo! answers. For anyone who is not familiar with this, it is where Yahoo! users can ask any questions about anything that they can think of. So as always, I checked out the Religious/Spirituality questions and I came across a question that basically asked "Why do female preachers hate 1 Corinthians 14:34-35?
These verses state:
34 Let your women keep silence in the Churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also says the Law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the Church.

Now I believe the "asker" was asking the question to say that women should not preach/teach in the church. But from what I have learned, the meaning of these verses has a historical meaning. In those days, women and men had to sit on separate sides of the room. If the woman did not understand something, she would call out to her husband asking for an explanation which interrupted the sermon. So it is being told that they should refrain from asking out loud during services and rather ask their husbands at home.
In addition, most preachers/teachers believe that we are living the last days in which God says that He will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh (Acts 2:17). Therefore, all people regardless of gender, will be able to Prophesy, see visions, among other things that the Holy Spirit will give.

Please share your thoughts and knowledge. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think that the Holy Spirit gives gifts to both men and women as He sees fit in the church. Some prophesy, some teach, other speak in tongues. But I think that when it comes to teaching that God established a distinct order in the household and in the church that prevents women from teaching men in the church. (1 Timothy 2:11-14) (1 Timothy 3:1-13) I think its permissible for women to teach other women and children as well in th church but never men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's absolutely true. The word is very straightforward about what it says concerning women preaching. And when it's that plain, you can't even agree with it.

      Delete
    2. ^^^^Lol, I meant to say 'argue with it' instead of 'agree with it'.

      Delete