The topic of speaking in tongues is quite controversial. I mean, think about it....being able to communicate with God in another language that you have never learned before or even heard of is a stretch for the imagination. Or is it? The bible says that with God all things are possible (Matt. 19:26). Not just some things, but ALL things! Even beyond what we could ever think of. I am a firm believer that tongues are real and relevant today. First, because the power of the Lord is just as strong today as it was way, way back in the biblical days. Just because time has passed does not mean the power and prophesies of the bible have been diluted, it's in full strength! Second, because I have witnessed it from other believers. And third, the reason I'm so passionate about tongues is because I have spoken in tongues myself. I was one of those people who thought that speaking in an unlearned tongue was impossible until August 18, 2009. On that night, I prayed to the Lord and asked if He wanted me to speak and if so I would be willing to yield to His will. And that's important in doing anything for the Lord, you must be willing to yield (set your pride, feelings, etc. aside). And I can honestly say, that not long after that I was praying The Lord's Prayer and after only a couple of words, I could not speak in my natural language. It was a very powerful experience that I will never forget. It was in that moment that I knew that the God that I had been learning about for so long was not just "a nice story" but He was real! The bible says that tongues are a sign for unbelievers (1 Cor. 14:22) and I was an unbeliever in tongues but not anymore!
Now I was told by a very respectable leader of a church that everyone can and has the ability to speak in tongues. And I even had a believer that told me (before I ever spoke) that I HAD to speak in tongues! I don't believe (from what I have read) that everyone will speak in tongues. I think that people have different spiritual gifts that make up the whole body of Christ. I hope that you are operating in your spiritual gift, but perhaps you don't know what your spiritual gift is. Well, if you don't know, you know who to ask. "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." (Luke 11:9-10). God bless you!
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a powerful post!! I feel as you do God has the same power as in biblical times. tongues in my opinion is real today!! God is Real!!
ReplyDelete