Wednesday, February 8, 2012

No More Separation

Tonight I watched a documentary about the Freedom Riders. This was a non-violent group from the 1960s consisting of both black and white individuals, who traveled on buses through cities such as Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and New Orleans to promote desegregation. Many of them endured much suffering all because they wanted equality for themselves and the upcoming generations. Through their efforts and several other notable civil rights activists, we are no longer separated. Everyone despite their race can go to the same restaurants, restrooms, and have the same opportunities as others. Now in no way has racism disappeared, but I just thank God that because of our ancestors things are better than what they used to be.
But as I sat and watched, I was reminded of the word of God. I thought about how before Jesus came there was no hope for the Gentile (Non -Jewish) people. We were not considered God's people as the Jews were. But after Christ came, the bible states in Ephesians 2:11-13 "Therefore remember that you once Gentiles in the flesh---who were called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands---that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. BUT NOW in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ." Glory be to God, I am so glad that Jesus came to set us free and wash us with His precious blood! Because of Him there is no more separation!
When Jesus was on the cross at Calvary, He yielded up His spirit and immediately the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom (Matt. 27:50-51). The veil represented our separation from God because of sin. Before Christ, only the high priest could enter the Most Holy Place once a year to bring the blood of bulls and goats as a sin offering. But Christ came as our final sin offering, entering the Most Holy Place ONCE for all, having obtained eternal redemption through His bloodshed (Hebrews 9:11-12). And His blood is and will continue to redeem all believers now and forever! As proud as I am of my ancestors for what they have done for this country, no desegregation is better than that which was done by Christ! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment